4 Courses. 12 Credits. 100% Online.
The Design for Sustainability Certificate will teach you the fundamentals of design for sustainability and the principles of corporate social responsibility. You'll learn how to take efforts to the next level as part of a circular (circularity) and regenerative (restorative) economic framework. The certificate is designed for professionals looking to learn and demonstrate their understanding of environmental and social justice (sustainability) issues, and how to apply that knowledge to any effort.
A fully online, accredited program, the graduate-level Design for Sustainability Certificate program is intended for a broad field of professional interests and experiences, so a portfolio is not required for admission to the program.
Note: College credits are earned for the certificate. If you want to apply the earned credits toward a graduate degree program at UW-Stout, you must complete that program's formal application process.
- Utilize a designer’s perspective for problem-solving and innovation using foundations in design thinking, circularity, and regenerative design.
- Apply the ethics of environmental and social justice to professional practice.
- Enable students to demonstrate knowledge of sustainability principles and methodologies to further explore and apply learning to any industry or effort.
The certificate is designed for students with an interest or current employment in:
- Corporate "Green Teams"
- Project Managers
- Corporate Management
- Professionals looking for Continuing Education Units (CEU) to maintain their licensure.
Admission Requirements and Application Materials
To apply to the certificate program, please complete the online application form.
Additionally, the following program-specific materials are required at the time of application:
- Updated resume
- Unofficial transcript attached to the application
- Provide a statement regarding where you would use sustainability as a part of your work and/or continuing education.
- Provide a statement regarding your previous use and/or comfort with technology and software"
Tuition & Fees
- Customized Instruction at UW Stout can be described as programs that are designed with the adult learner in mind. If you're comparing UW-Stout's customized instruction tuition to our competitors, keep in mind:
- Customized instruction tuition rate includes the textbook rental fee.
- There are no additional university-based semester or technology fees.
- Students in customized instruction programs pay the same rate of tuition regardless if Wisconsin residents, out-of-state or international participants.
Value for Your Money
There’s more to value than just tuition. UW Stout also provides:
- Program Director – faculty with discipline expertise.
- Student Services adviser – one point of contact, providing support to students for each program.
- Course sequences and matrices – know what courses are offered when so you can plan ahead.
- Courses and programs may be stackable for use in another program.
- Courses are flexible and convenient for working professionals.
Other universities will present costs and value differently - make sure you're comparing apples to apples.