Transfer Students

Registration, enrollment, and advising information for transfer students.
In this Section

Transition Steps

Step 1) Set your password and activate your UW-Stout e-mail

  • Go to to activate your UW-Stout e-mail. You will need your student ID number. Contact the Admissions Office, 715-232-1411, if you cannot remember your ID number.
  • After successfully setting your password, you will be directed to activate your UW-Stout e-mail account.
  • Your e-mail username and password are used for all UW-Stout login functions.

Step 2) Check your UW-Stout e-mail for your Transfer Credit Report

  • You will receive an e-mail in your UW-Stout e-mail account with a notification that your Transfer Credit Report has been completed. Read how to interpret your Transfer Credit Report.

Step 3) If needed, take the University of Wisconsin Placement Tests in English and Mathematics

  • All students are required to either take the University of Wisconsin English and Math Placement Tests or have college credit in English and Math.
  • Students who have already taken the University of Wisconsin Placement Tests do not need to take them again. If you have transfer credits in any of the following English courses, you do not need to take the English Placement Tests: ENGL 090; 101; 111; 112.
  • If you have college credit in math, it may not be adequate preparation for the major you are entering; your advisor will advise you on what math class to enroll in. 
  • If you plan to take Spanish while attending UW-Stout and have not taken Spanish at your previous institution you will need to take the Spanish World Languages Placement Test.
  • If you would like to schedule a placement test or if you have additional questions please contact the Advisement Center via e-mail at

Step 4) Advising

Once your Transfer Credit Report has been completed, you will receive an e-mail (within a few days) with advising and enrollment information from your program director or Advisement Center advisor. Advisors are assigned based on declared major and credits (see below).

Transfer Student: Declared Major

15+ transfer credits 

Program Director

Transfer Student: Declared Major

14 or fewer transfer credits

First-Year Advisor

Transfer Student: Undeclared

Any transfer credits

First-Year Advisor

Your advisor's name can be found on your Access Stout Student Center Page. To navigate to the Access Stout Student Center follow the steps below:

  • Common Logins page, Access Stout
  • Self-Service (left hand column)
  • Student Center
  • Advisor (right hand column)
  • Click on "details"

Your Academic Advisement Report is an online tool which summarizes your progress in meeting program graduation requirements. Find instructions for viewing this report here. Choose the Step-by-Step Guides tab. Under Program Requirements and Degree you'll find Navigate and Print your Academic Advisement Report (Degree Audit). If you are an undeclared transfer student or have not yet declared a concentration it will be a limited report.

See the University Bulletin for information on general education requirements, academic programs (majors and minors), and course descriptions.

Additional tools to assist you in planning your degree and registering for classes can be found here.

Step 5) Enroll in classes online

Once you have received course recommendations from your Program Director or academic advisor and completed the student account contract you are ready to enroll in courses.

Step 6) Review the After You're Admitted webpage

Once you are enrolled in classes review the After You're Admitted webpage. The transfer student fall or spring semester checklist provides you with all the information you need to be prepared to get started here at Stout. 

Step 7) Orientation

  • Starting at UW-Stout in January?
    Communication about Transfer Orientation will be sent via e-mail in December. January Transfer Orientation will be held on Friday, January 24th.

  • Still have questions about orientation?
    Contact Britta Miller, New Student Orientation Coordinator, 715-232-4052 or by e-mail at